I posted this back in 08 and it’s so good that I’m bringing it back.
Ten Commandments of Purity from Perry Noble.
- No other human relationship comes before my spouse.
- I shall remember the date night and keep it Holy (my phone will be off and in the car).
- I will always view my wife as my bride and the standard of beauty in my life.
- I will never think that I am above temptation. It’s by God’s grace that I have not fell.
- I shall not spend time alone or travel alone with a woman.
- I shall not talk about my spouse in a negative manner.
- I shall not ever discuss the intimate details of my marriage with anyone (especially another woman).
- I shall not watch pornography or expose myself to other illicit material that would cause me to lust and devalue my wife.
- I shall not confuse fantasy and reality.
- I shall remember the implications of breaking the seventh commandment (committing adultery).
The whole thing is riding on purity.
Me and God have a cool thing going on right now where He is not affraid of hurting my feelings. Having said that, here is something I felt like He shared with me last week.
If you are a follower of Jesus (meaning you have given your life to Him) then here is the deal. When you open your eyes in the morning your first thought needs to be similar to this:
- God, what do you want me to do today?
- Who do you want me to encourage?
- What should I do in this situation?
- How can I most honor you in my roles?
- Am I on track with who you want me to be?
- What do you want to change in my life?
You need to follow this up with reading God’s Word and prayer! (I will argue you to the ground on this, morning is the best time)
If this is not how you roll then I would say just stay in the bed and here is why:
- If you don’t hear from God then you will not handle that meeting right or that situation correctly.
- If you don’t hear from God then you are more prone to getting in the flesh.
- If you don’t hear from God then you are wide open for the enemy to distract or derail you.
- If you don’t hear from God then Your best efforts will be Your best efforts and worst than that you will take credit for anything good that happens instead of giving God credit.
- If you don’t hear from God then it’s a wasted day. (this sounds harsh but if you follow Jesus, then it’s legit)
If hearing from God is foreign to you email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I would love to point you in a direction. I can’t quite Him down right now and I love it.
In my profession I get to speak to a lot of different people, people with problems, people who feel like they have it all together, people with jobs, people without jobs, people with kids, people without kids, people with money, people without money, people with strong marriages, people with broken marriages, secure leaders, insecure leaders, the list can go on and on.
The thing that has blown me away in each of these conversations is this: the more that people try to control their lives, the more out of control it becomes. They are looking for solutions but in all the wrong places. The answer is not in someones blog post or a book. It’s not at a conference or in a mentor. Don’t get me wrong all of these things can confirm the solution but they are not it.
We complicate life tremendously when we look for solutions through these avenues. Do you want to know if you should take that job or marry that person? Are you considering bankruptcy or divorce? Are you wondering if you should replace that team leader? Well the truth is this, LIFE IS SIMPLE and decision making is too, ASK THE HOLY SPIRIT!!! It doesn’t matter what the book, blog, conference, sermon or your friend says if it is not what God is wanting you to do. The truth is, God’s decision and direction is the only one that matters. Does God usually confirm these decisions and directions through books, blogs, conferences and friends? I believe He does, if you’re running with a crowd that is chasing after Him, but at the end of the day, it’s God’s Spirit that you need to be listening to. It’s the X Factor.
This thought is not original with me. I first heard it from my good friend Larry Brey but it’s not even original with Larry, it comes from God’s Word.
The Perception Principle is this: How you perceive someone is how you receive them.
This principle is huge. Take for instance Jesus in own hometown in Mark Chapter 6. The Son of God comes home and instead of them receiving him as who he was they received him as a common man (just a carpenter) and because of their perception of him, they missed out on a receiving what he had for them.
The awesome thing about principles is that they are usually universal. I believe that the Perception Principle is HUGE in our lives. If we perceive our spouses as nags guess how we receive them? If we perceive teenagers as worrisome trouble makers guess how we receive them. If you perceive your team as lazy or incompetent guess how you receive them?
And how you receive people is how you speak to them. If you perceive negative aspects, that’s all you speak to. However if you choose to perceive people based off of their potential and based off of God’s Word, then you speak to them in that light, you encourage, you coach, you believe the best!
Choose to perceive others through God’s eyes and not your own and see what happens!! I believe in you!!
I saw a sign once that said, “We can’t spell s_cess without u”, truth is they couldn’t spell sucCess even with u.
The funny thing about success is that when the goal gets distant, we tend to redefine it. When the vision gets cold or we don’t remind the team of what the goal is then there is a battle for what we define as success.
I will use church as an example. If our team isn’t reminded of what success is then they may look at attendance or tithes and offerings or response to the message as a goal and when those things are up, then we have succeeded and when they are down we have failed. But to be completely honest with you, if you a christian then SUCCESS is defined as Obedience. Did you do what God wanted you to this week? Did you say what He wanted you to? Did you prepare like He wanted? Did your attitude and actions bring Him honor? THEN NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.
If I am obedient, then it’s doesn’t matter how many people did or did not come, how well or not the message was received, whether or not I had to work my team alone… None of that matters if Obedience is the goal.
If you are feeling discouraged or distracted, then refocus in on the goal, be obedient to the Spirit of God and celebrate the fact that you are tracking with the creator of the universe.
“Wisdom is not built in a day but is built daily” – Wayne Cordeiro.
One of my new friends is a phenomenal photographer and the great thing about her photos is that she knows what to focus on. It is obvious what is in focus and what is not.
I think there is a lot to be learned from my photo friend. Here is what I have learned.
- If you don’t focus on anything your subject is unidentified
- If you focus on everything, your focused on nothing
- If you focus on the wrong thing your subject is blurry
- If you use a zoom lens up close, you can’t see the big picture
- If you use an up close lens for things far away, you miss important details
I my line of work, here is how this plays out. If you focus on God, things stay in perspective. If you focus on your problems, you loose perspective. If you are critical of everything and everybody, check your focus and make sure God is the clearest thing in the picture.