This is my notes from a round table at NewSpring Church in SC. The following is for church staff members.
What your pastor wishes you knew.
1. I need positive attitudes.
- Negative people are always draining.
- Don’t ever tell me we can’t do something. Tell me we can land the plane on the stage but we have to buy the property next door and build a 4 billion dollar airport. (We can and here is the cost).
2. You will never feel the weight I feel.
- The target on the pastors back is 100 times bigger that the one on yours. Satan wants to take him out and this will kill the church.
- The health of every ministry and every person weighs on me.
3. Don’t settle for good enough.
4. Please get along.
- He doesn’t need to counsel staff members.
5. Don’t surprise me.
- If you tell me on Saturday, I might get upset but I can deal with it before I get on stage.
6. Never say that’s not my job.
- If you say that’s not my job then your job will not be your job.
7. Protect me.
- The pastor has got to know that you have his back.
- As your church grows the disunity factor will be pastor to staff not pastor to congregation.
- As long as the respect level stays where it should you can say anything to me.
- Don’t throw people under the bus.